Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Work

"Work isn't to make money; you work to justify life."
Marc Chagall

All thing being equal, with money is better..............Mark was an artist 1889-1987, or there abouts.   The picture is my art work

I went on a job interview one time.   The interviewer asked me   "What motivates you, what makes you get up in the morning?"

Without a pause I stated "money."   I thought that was one of the stupidest interview question.......  I do not work for the good of mankind,   I work to pay bills and I like to eat.   I can not afford to be altruistic.   As the interview went on she told me what the salary was and it was $10/hr less than I was making.

I said to her.  "Quite frankly, I make more than that now.  But I believe we are wasting each others time.  I thank you for your time and consideration.  Good bye."

They never did fill that positon and about a month later I saw they had upped their salary.   I never did call them back.  It was not worth the drive.

 

 


Tags:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a pretty picture!!

I agree, who wouldn't work if they didn't need the money?

betty

Anonymous said...

I'm doing med collection work as I type this. They have me on hold; I will assume they will try to keep me on hold until 6pm when the insurance office closes, then hang up on me :-).
In the past I was utterly absorbed in my work; it definitely was not just the money. Presently, that has changed.  I am working on the absorbed thing. I actually quite prefer that.  ~Mary