Friday, June 20, 2008

Friday

I was just perusing the news headlines and came upon an item.   The floods in the  Midwest.  What I want to know is why would anyone believe FEMA.   There are a lot of people who actually believed the Federal Government when they said that the levees on the Mississippi would withstand a 100 year flood.    A lot of people dropped their flood insurance......the reason was that the government said it was ok,and their banks no longer required it.

What were these hapless souls thinking?   I do not know what flood insurance cost, but, It is a whole lot less than replacing a destroyed house......  Another item was that some people in New Orleans did not know they were in  a flood plain.   How in the world could they be so naive, I have never been to NO and I know the city is surrounded by water and is actually a bowl that is lower than sea level.    I feel for them but I think some people just made some bad choices.

The River Walk in San Antonia Texas.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been on the San Antonio Riverwalk, and it is beautiful.  My reading indicates that flood insurance is on the order of $500 per year via the government.  :o)

Anonymous said...

first thing my husband looks at when we rent/buy a house is if we are on a flood plain (never have been) to see if we should get flood insurance. However, we didn't get earthquake insurance (I live in California) because it was expensive (can't remember how much now) and the deductible was 10% of what your house was worth; could be alot if your house was over a half million which at times houses are worth that and so much more

betty

Anonymous said...

I worked with a woman who had her kids in private school but could not afford $30 a week to pay into an insurance plan(the rest funded by the employer)for her family's health care. I have like 256 other examples of people that do things like this & then rant, cry & rave when something goes wrong.  There are so many choices you make, risks you take, but in the end, most know what they should have done...but did not. The govt isn't at fault for everything, & if they are, & other govt's are so much more honest, protective & glorious, makes me wonder why people aren't booking perm flights to other countries left & right. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

Part of buying my home was a requirement to have research done to see if I am in a flood plain. Nope, not me, not any of the condos in the complex. I bet each of us had to pay for the same fee, too!

xoxo