Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Having fun today

Since my mother had colon cancer I have to get regular screenings.   Colon cancer is the only cancer that can be preventable.   For the average person, that is.      Colon polyps are know to develop into malignancies.   There are people with a genetic connection that develop multiple polyps, but not the average person.

Your first requirement is that you have to be able to trot like a racehorse;  and have two days off in a row.  The morning before the test you get to consume clear liquids all day.....yummers.   Clear liquids are things you can see through.   Beer doesn't qualify as a clear liquid even though you can see through it.    Then you take four tiny orange pills with the potential of dynamite.    Once you start trotting you have to drink (about a gallon---no lie) of this hypertonic saline solution.    That means it is like drinking sea water that is super concentrated...........It taste awful,   they included a flavor pack and my only question is how bad does it taste with out the flavor pack????   I hate to imagine that.   It was still awful, then I added a  pack of Crystal Light.  it improved it over the berry flavor pack.  

Chuck said it tastes better if you put it over ice and drink realllllly fast.  I can do that, he told me to quit sipping it like I was drinking Southern Comfort.   That is not considered a clear liquid either.......

More on this torture later.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that doesn't sound like fun at all, but a necessary "evil" for sure; I know I'm due for one,having turned 50 this year

betty

Anonymous said...

I think I have had that lovely test 3 times now. I consider that drink "necklace soup" because it tastes so metallic to me. I told the doctor last time that I would not drink that crap again, and he said no problem, he can prep me without it. Miss work? I worked, including home calls all day, the day I did the liquids and the pills. It wasn't fun, no. I only missed work the next day for the time I was in the hospital having the test. Once it was over, I was back to work. I had two polyps the first time, none since. Not my favorite test, but the drugs are good :-)

xoxo