Friday, June 13, 2008

TGIF

 

 

I love pineapples, but have you noticed that the pineapples (in Pittsburgh area) are $5 each????   Tonight I made a lo cal fajitas.  It was chicken sprinkled with Jamaican Jerk Seasoning, and peppers and one onion.   You had to carve the pineapple and grill the slices.   Dole sells a can of sliced pineapple for $1.29.   Plus there is no mess from the spent pineapple casing.   Guess which one I chose.   First you saute the pepper (red and yellow) and one thinly sliced onion for a few minutes then saute the seasoned chicken.   After that is cooked you mix them together and voila......you have the making of fajitas.   You need to heat the tortillas for a few seconds in the microwave.  Just add rice, or a vegetable.   I added corn on the cob.  Now that there is a major disaster in Iowa from the floods I can expect to see the price of corn rise drastically.

We lived in Iowa City for about two years.  My husband was working there.  Such a nice college town.  It would be a nice place to retire; the problem for us was he was transferred and we were gone.   I had gone to Cedar Rapids for shopping and can not honestly remember that the Cedar River was that big.  The river that I remember was so small and a nonevent.  I feel bad for the people there, what a tragedy with the rain.   I would be willing to be most of the did not have flood insurance.   One time I had inquired about flood insurance, the agent told me that the way to get flood insurance you had to live in a "flood plane".  If you did not live there  you could not get the insurance.    If you got flooded out and did not live in the "flood plane"  I guess you arejust SOL.

I forgot to add what to do with the pineapples.  You grill the rings and then cut them in chunks and add them to the chicken/pepper mixture and serve them on warmed tortillas.   The sweetness of the pineapple offsets the spicyness of the Jamician Jerk Seasoning.  You can add condiments if you like.

Picture taken at Clevelands West Side Market.

 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

those pineapples look great in the picture! can't imagine $5.00 for one! I would have gone with the canned ones too; that recipe sounds delicious! and healthy too!

that is terrible about the floods; we drove through that area 19 years ago but I just don't have a good memory of it

flood insurance is kind of like earthquake insurance (I live in California); its expensive and you have a very high deductible; most people tend not to get it and take their chances

betty

Anonymous said...

I figured the quality of the canned fruits are not as good to begin with - in other words, I would go with the fresh. I like pineapple too and it's great grilled!

xoxo