Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Still tired

For the life of me I can't really remember where this was taken.   I think possibly somewhere in New England.   My daughter and I ,my  sister and her husband and their sons drove to Maine.    It was reminiscent of the Griswalds Family vacation.

This trek started with a trip across PA and then into New York.   My sister and her family drove the truck camper and my daughter and I drove in my little red Jetta.   We stayed in a campground somewhere in NY.   We were so exhausted that just to lie supine was a treat.   Going thru New York and Connecticut was so busy and so much traffic.  

What I found amazing was the drive up Route 1, along the coast of Maine.  The scenery was spectacular; the seaside towns so quaint.   I would love to drive that route again.   The thing that amazed me and I remember to this day was the crosswalks.   If a pedestrian even was thinking about crossing all traffic halted till they made their decision and crossed.  

We camped at Acadia National Park.  We had the truck camper and a tent.  Although we were on an island, the daughter refused to sleep in the tent for fear that she would be trampled by a moose.  We didn't even see a moose.  

Another interesting thing about Maine was the lack of airconditioners in the stores.  I guess when it gets to 80F  it is a virtual heat wave.  I suppose it doesn't happen very often.

I have a lot of pictures of that trip and will post some of them in the journal.    I would like to go there again too.   I guess my ideal vacation would to leave in September and travel thru New England and watch the change of season.  Guess that is one for retirement, hopefully, the daughter will be out of the house by them.

The week in Acadia was great.   The trip home was somethi ng else.  The first night we went via  and camped New Hampshireat Franconia Notch State Park.   Franconia Notch State Park - Lincoln, NH

What I was impressed with was The Old Man in the Mountain.   After being there for eons one night he just crumbled and fell.  I really felt bad about it and I had only seen him one time.

After that we went thru upstate New York and spent the next night somewhere in the Adirondacks we stopped at another park.  It was raining, damp with the humidity at about 150%.   Outside were mosquitos the size of sparrow and they wereall queuing for the fresh arrivals.    My brother in law had a migraine and was moaning with his head resting on the steering wheel.   It was quite a night.  We did survive that evening and with a minimum of bites, but we only went outside to go to the toilet at the bath house.

The last leg of the trip was into PA and across The northern tier via Route 6. 

VisitPA :: Pennsylvania Passages :: Route 6

We were all glad to get back home.   PA is really a beautiful state.   In the middle of the state is a lot of wilderness.   It is said that it is one of the few places for observation of the stars with no light from the cities.  Another place was Arizona but I can't remember where the third location is for star gazing.  Guess I will have to goodle that.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kitt Peak - was there a few months ago in AZ. Quite the ride up when there is a storm going on!

I would love to go up the coast in Maine. I used to have a friend there, he taught in the school in the park you mentioned. He said it was just beautiful!

xoxo