Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sunday

I started this yesterday and the computer somehow d/ced the internet and all was lost.    So, I gave up for yesterday.   My notebook should arrive in TX tomorrow.  They said 7 to 10 days to fix it.   Then the slow trek home.  

UPS added a $10 surcharge for fuel.... I, like may others, wish there was someone who I could add for my increased cost too  Our gas, energy and food costs have all risen and we have to bear the brunt and get others tacked on to ours.    The price of gas has gone down but I haven't noticed any decrease at the gas stations.    Guess that will happen tomorrow.

Emily and I are going to the THE DARK KNIGHT today.  One of the docs at work saw it and said something gets blown up every 5 minutes.  He didn't like it. It remains to be seen.

I have read three books since the computer left.  WINTER STUDY by Nevada Barr, which is the typical Anna Pigeon mystery adventure. 

  BLACK FLIES, by Shannon Burke.    This is written by an EMT and after the first three chapters it was the same scenerios only with different names.   I got tired of listening to how the EMTs are the only ones who can save lives.  I didn't finish it.

GARDEN SPELL, by Sarah Addison Allen.   This was a delightful easy read.  It put me in mind of PRACTICAL MAGIC  by Alice Hoffman.    In Garden Spell the gist of the story revolves around Waverly sisters and each of them have a special  magical talent, and it revolves around the house and garden.  It is a chick book.  This book is rated PG

THE LAST OF HER KIND by Sigrid Nunez.   This starts about two women who start college c.1968 and the first  is Ann who comes from a well to do background and Georgette who is dirt poor.   Ann has angst because of the wealth and becomes a fanatic or "changing the US and the class inequality."  Georgette is trying to find what to do with her life."   The books was well written.  I was in school at the same time; but, I was just to busy with getting an educationand my family had no money that I just could not relate with Ann.  By the end of the book I felt that Ann was just a fool who never learned any thing about living.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked Winter Study. Reading it in July was a bonus :-)

So, UPS was delivering nothing but your computer, so they charged you $10? I don't think so! I bet they charged everyone $10. Those buzzards!

xoxo