Saturday, July 5, 2008

Saturday

This is the same view as below, but with the telephoto shot and one lonely firework.  I was just too dark to see my camera buttons.    Guess I should not have waited till the time of the display to try to figure out what to do.

Yesterday Emily and I drove to Johnstown.  On the way the music director call and said the concert would be indoors.  That was a good thing, when we got to the higher elevation, it was raining.  Parking was a problem but I found a spot and spent 5 minutes trying to back up and still be within the confines of the lines.   I saw some of the cars have a camera in rear and you can observe the back of the car when you put the car in reverse.  I am extremely interested in that feature.

The concert was good.  They played all the usual patriotic favorites.   They played indoors because the rain would ruin expensive musical instruments....They had the pyrotechnics but we decided we really didn't need to see them and we started for home. 

 The road out of the valley is a two lane country road thru the Conemaugh Gorge.  It is dark, isolate and straight up the mountain.    I guess the drive is about 15 minutes.  The fog was coming in and heavy in some areas.  It was the kind of drive that you would expect in horror movies when some malevolent creature would come out of the mist.  EKKKKKKKKKKKKK.  That did not happen. 

 I must say that on this route (PA 403) there were reflective indicators on both side of the road, and a sturdy guide rail on the raving side.  The lines in the middle were freshly painted and bright.  Even with the fog you could easily see your location on the road surface.  It has the potential for a disastrous occurrence.  The rain was pouring of misting off and on.  I was glad to arrive home safely.

http://www.scrip.pa-conservation.org/natural.htm   Gorge Information...I will google pictures at a later time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time, and got home safely. No creatures allowed!

Beth

Anonymous said...

that was a cool shot of the firework!! sounds like you had an enjoyable evening except for the drive home; fog is not my favorite to drive in and living in Southern California close to the beach, we did have our fair share at times

betty

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to get a picture of the fireworks :o)

Anonymous said...

Getting photos of fireworks can be a challenge that's for sure, not only does the camera need to be ultra still, you need to know where the buttons are in the dark!  Yes, I was fighting all that myself.  I love your high viewpoint of the fireworks - it looks like you had a great viewing spot to enjoy the night.  Glad you made it home safely - I used to live in SF and hated driving in fog.  Wishing you a good week.

Monica

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shot! I've been on roads like that after a gig with Doc (my other half) and it does get rather frightening. You have to worry about Deer jumping out in front of your vehicle and not being able to respond in time. (Hugs)Indigo