Thursday, July 10, 2008

Emilys Micro class

Emily has completed the first week of Microbiology.  She has a test today, on the first three chapters.  When I came home at 11 PM she was making notes on index cards. 

There are 16 people in her class; she said that not all of them were incoming freshman.   Some were older than her, some were her same age and a few younger.  I asked if there were any guys and she said only one and he had his eyebrows pierced.  She wanted to know why anyone would do that and make them selves look like an idiot.   I DO NOT KNOW    She speculated what his patient would think when it was time to care for them.....PROBABLY THINK HE LOOKED LIKE AN IDIOT...  would be my guess.

She said he sat in the back and talked to two blonds all throughout class.  I told her they would be gone at half time.  To study Nursing is a lot of hard work.  There is a high attrition rate because most people blow off  Micro and A&P and you need to really study.  I asked when the start to "save lives" and she didn't know. 

Yesterday was not bad considering I was there for 16 hours.   I had a light room and did breaks and lunches on my down time.  We were finished at 6:30 PM and then waited for some emergency that never materialized. 

Chuck told me earlier this year that he was going to take the same weeks off as me.  (Pounds head on table and groans.)  I think I will make him a list of things to do.   I have a few items in mind.    One of the things I want to do is scan old pictures and slides...I have to call my sister and she what her schedule is like.   She is a school nurse and has off the summers.     It is only a half time position.  After working at that job she could write a book.

Actually, long ago my husband worked for a MAJOR company who built nuclear power plants.  We lived in Korea and Yugoslavia.   I have a lot of pictures from Asia and Europe that I want to scan.

I digress, when I lived in Korea I found a job on a US Army base as a school nurse.  It was funny I went to the US Army School with one of the other expatriates as she was signing her children up for class.   The principal asked me if he could do anything for me.  I said "No, not unless you need a nurse."  He said "As a matter of fact, I do"   That was the easiest job I ever found.  It was also half time.  The biggest thing was checking immunizations and listening to the kids who came when the wanted to get out of class.   The biggest perk of that job was I got to use the US Mail system.   In a lot of countries the mail is censored, and things have a way of disappearing and making their way onto the Black Market.

I must admit that I utilized the black market myself but that is a story for another day..............

 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only is a pierced eyebrow unattractive (in my book), it's decidedly unsanitary and makes me think "infection!" I would suspect that no hospital would allow anyone doing patient care to have any type of visible peircings beyond their ears. Every place I've ever worked has had a dress code that addresses such things.

I'll look forward to hearing the black market story...!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Good idea to scan the older pictures - that way if they fade, you still have a good digital copy. Micro - I remember that class :-)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm focusing on the : Yesterday was not bad considering I was there for 16 hours.  I've done that. I didn't complain at the time, but I'll bet I wasn't saying Yesterday wasn't bad, at the time ;-0.
~Mary