Thursday, July 3, 2008

Rainy day picnic

I had off today.  The morning was nice and now it is raining.  I am suppose to go to a friends picnic this late afternoon.   She lives atop the Allegheny River and can see the town of Tarentum which is across the river.  They have their fireworks display this evening.    My contribution will be a Blueberry Pound Cake.  I actually made two, and I will give one to Chuck to take to work tomorrow.   They always have food to celebrate what ever holiday and every brings something into work on the Holiday, which ever one it is.  

I checked the weather map and it looks like rain, rain, rain.....Guess I will wear shoes and an anorak.....

I had off today and Emily and I went to the Penn State Book Store and got her Microbiology text book and lab manual...she starts Micro on Monday.....Then we went and ordered her uniforms. The uniforms the student wear now are colored scrubs.  Hers are a Forest Green.  She looks really good in that shade.  When I went eons ago, we had 100% cotton and they starched the damn things.    The uniforms would stand up by themselves.   At that time none of the hospitals had A/C and you can just imagine how hot and scratchy they were.   Now you would be hard to find a hospital without it.   The only place that had A/C was the OR, maybe that was the lure for me.......an air conditioned work place.....

 Most of what she needs for Nursing School is done.  We found out from the uniform store woman that there are about 100 students in her class.    They are now going on rotation to a lot of hospital sites so their experience will be good.   One of them is a Level 1 Trauma Center and their they have clinical in the ER and ICU...This hospital has a plethora of ICUs.

I had off today and also tomorrow and the weekend.  So, that is four days in a row.   Point to ponder,  Why does a  persons day off go faster than days at work?????

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you have four days off, I also have four days off (even though I have work to do at home, it is better than being at the office).  Glad arrangements for daughter's classes are good.

Anonymous said...

sounds like a wonderful time to have 4 days off!! that is neat your daughter is training to be a nurse too; such a great field to get into!! very fascinating

hope you and your family have a Happy Fourth; that pound cake sounds delicious!

betty

Anonymous said...

The scrubs they have available these days give you a wide variety to choose from (my daughter needed them while she was studying for her Vet. degree). It's nothing but rain forcasted for here in NY as well. It does seem like enjoyable days speed by faster than the ordinary work days. After a certain age that goes pretty much for life in general it speeds by with no brakes in sight. Have a grand 4th hon. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

Yay for Microbiology! (I'm a retired Microbiologist.) I hope she enjoys the class.

Beth