Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Pondering health care.

I am thinking about retirement more and more every day.  A problem with health care is no one ever offers health care providers and early out.    At 61 I am exhausted.   There is an eternal nagging by people to do more to decrease "turn over time."   The turn over time is the amount of time it takes from the end of one operation to get the next patient in the room to start the next. The turn over time now where I work is about 15 minutes.    That is obviously not fast enough.  I really wonder how much long I can do this mentally or physically????

   Patients are getting sicker and larger.   I do not have the strength to move people who refuse to move themselves, I guess they think it is their right to have someone else more their bodies from the cart to the OR table.  

One of the main reasons that there are so many women in their 50's and 60's still working in health care is the fact that if we retire we will not have health insurance.    The hospitals do not provide it for retirees................I can get 18 months of COBRA but that is expensive too.  To buy health insurance on my own will cost about $1,000 per month for the husband and I.   Then a lot of policies will exclude "preexisting conditions"   Now, who in the world in their 50 and 60's do not have a preexisting condition or two??

Another thing to ponder and worry about is who is going to take care of people when the majority of RN and doctors who will be retiring.   I guess I should just stay healthy and out of trouble.

No comments: