Saturday, August 30, 2008

Lazy Saturday

 

 

This picture is really from long ago and far away....This is a picture of my grandfathers family.  My grandfather, Willi Schridde, is the soldier in the WW1 uniform, standing in the back.   It was taken circa 1816.   He was German born and fought in the War to End All Wars.    The couple seated are my great grandparents.   Heinrich Theodor Frederich Schridde and Anna Meta Margarethe Hackmann  They were both from the area around Hamburg, Germany.     Willi Had five sisters, Dina, Minna, Lily, Johanna and Oona.   I wish I knew which sister was which.   I have been trying to find information on them but with out knowledge of the German language it has been a great problem for me.

I am going to a meeting the first week of November in Williamsburg VA.  I have a notion to peruse Half Price Books and see if they have a German Language CD and play it during the trip.   I will be a prisioner in the car and maybe some of it will be absorbed into my cranium.....

If you compare the family to the snapshot of me and my sibs you will see a great resemblance.  At least I do.   My brother in the top middle I  think looks like my ggrandfather.   My sister on the lower left looks like her ggrandmother.   I think I resemble my Aunt who is seated in in chair in the front.   It is amazing how that genetic works.

I have been working on my genealogy for about two years and I have made progress but I have hit a major brick wall.   Some people can trace their ancestory back to Adam and Eve, but I am stuck at the great great grandparents.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Claudia, neat pictures, and YES, I can definitely see the resemblance! I hope you can continue to trace your family's past. While we weren't able to go back quite as far as Adam and Eve--LOL!--one of my uncles was able to trace my Dad's side of the family back to Prussia in the 1500's. Pretty cool, and we still have distant cousins in Germany! Good luck!

Beth

Anonymous said...

I have found some parts of my family already done online by others, but I assume you already know how to find those if you have been doing it for 2 years. Don't give up - they will be there some place - unless your family came over during the years that Ellis records are gone? That does make it harder for a lot of people unless you know where they left from and you can find that ship manifest.
The internet sure has made it much easier.