Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I liked the purple.    Long day at work.  Today I did vascular and two lung cases.   Now they can do VATS,   video assisted thorascopic surgery.    A while back they had to make a huge incision to open the chest cavity.  Now they make a small incision,  and can insert a camera and take a look and see.  This saves a lot of pain for the patient, and they can do minor things.  Like take biopsies, drain fluid, and fix little things.     We have tubes that are inserted down the windpipe and you can block off the breathing to one lung.   Then the lung is deflated and you can see a lot and operate.   At the end of the case the lung is reinflated and then the doc puts in a chest tube and the lung stays reinflated.  In a day or two the chest tube is removed and usually they can go home.    Now major lung surger requires a large incision and an area to work.  But the VATS is a major development for the patients.

Tomorrow I am working 16 hours and I will be exhausted, and then off for the next ten days or so......

Still waiting for the information on my computers return, they haven't me notified me of it status.   I know it will be while I am in Philadelphia...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Still no news on the computer? Damn.

Interesting info on surgery!