Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sunday

A tidy house is a sign of a wasted life.............

That was a sign at the Irish Festival, which Emily and I went to today.       I ran off the instructions that were given to me, but when I went to start this entry I could not find them.    They are somewhere and I will find them.   We went early and I was looking for books, or at least I had an idea about them.  I was looking for books on Irish Genealogy.  But, there was not a book to buy.   Just food, beer, jewelry and T-shirts and Irish  knick-knacks.   I did buy a t-shirt. http://www.kelticdesigns.com/   They really have a lot of nice designs.    I bought a T-shirt that was a Pentacle Knot.   You really have to peruse the bowels of this web site to find the T-shirts.   Emily at a chicken pita and I had a gyro.  

I wish I had purchased the above quoted sign.   It is funny but somehow I feel it is true.  My house is not dirty but neither am I Suzie Homemaker.   Sometimes I feel that I should have had a cleaning lady.  But, really, I would lose the only exercise I get.

Emily starts her clinical rotation this week.  I can not remember my first day of clinical when I went......Guess it went well.   I do remember my first day of OB and I hear a woman scream "You son of a bitch, you did this to me..........."   That made a lasting impression on me.   I never, ever, wanted to work on OB.   This was pre epidurals.......

I think what I liked the most was the Operating Room; maybe, it was because, at that time, it was the only place in the hospital that had air conditioning.......I was a wuss from the start.....

We had, at that time three month rotations in all the specialities.  I loved the OR.....When I was a senior I was interested in the Nurse Anesthetist.    http://www.aana.com/   I would only have one patient to take care of at one time..   After working for six months I applied and was accepted..    That was the best career move for me.....The anesthetist worse a lot of jewelry, and I liked that.   When I went not too many people were interested in the field,  so, they paid me a stipend to go.     NOW it is in a Master prepared field and soon to become a Doctorate prepared career.   I wonder, why would anyone do this when the same amount of time is required to go to Medical School.   You would get paid about 4 times as much if you had a MD behind your name. 

It is a push by the colleges and university's.   Most of the Professions are now on a doctorate level.  The Pharmacists are required a PharmD, the Occupational and Physical Therapist.   I really feel it is a money making ploy by the Higher Education Gurus.    If they want to control cost, making the entry level positions a Doctorate level is definitely not the way to do.  But, it is set in motion and we can not change it. 

They would probably do that for the entry level RN, but there is such a shortage that it would be impossible to do.

 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those glass bowls/vases! I saw similar items in a museum display of glass. They're gorgeous, and look like glass flowers.

My profession (Medical Technologist) is still a B.S., but when I went to school, my senior year was a full 12-month-long internship at a hospital lab. They've cut that down to something like 3 months! It seems like ours is getting shorter, but others are getting longer!

Have a great week!

Beth

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this picture. I could see one of those bowls in my house! I feel the same way about housework...I don't want my life to be based on how clean my house is. It's comfortable, I get done what i need to do when it needs to be done. Yes, I do a hurricane cleaning routine when I'm expecting visitors....but you know what...I'm happy and so are my animals. What more could you ask from a house. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

I thought a tidy house was the sign of a broken computer?

I thought the 2-year nursing RN was being eliminated, and a BSN would be soon required. No more LPNs, either? I probably have this all wrong, lol!

Maybe you can find Irish genealogy books online, or find Irish bookstores - in Ireland?

xoxo