Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New years day

Just when I settled myself to do nothing we got a call that there was an appendectomy to be done.     He was a nice man, sort of had this vague abdominal pain but it was a hot appendix.

He came to the ER at 2 PM and we were getting started at 9 PM.   I can't believe it took them so long to diagnose and get him ready to do the surgery.  It had already ruptured, who know, maybe during the ER wait.    The case was really uneventful.   I told him he had a good chance of being in the OR till next year.  LOL  It hurt when he laughed.   

I want to get the decorations in the attic.  Emily's allergies seemed to be gone.  The culprit was the tree.   Glad we are getting back to normal with that.

  This evening I am cooking the traditional New Years dinner.  My mother cooked a pork roast and threw it in the sauerkraut.   There was no gravy with the mashed potatoes.    Well, I cook the sauerkraut separately and I have gravy for my mashed potatoes.   The sauerkraut is drained, add a couple tablespoons of brown sugar; add a few pearl onions, a sliced red apple and some raisins and bake it for 30 minutes at 350.   I use the sauerkraut that comes in a plastic bag and is found in the meat section.    Emily will eat fish.   

The tradition is to eat pork ( because the pig roots forward) and not to have chicken (because the chicken scratches back)    Sauerkraut is to insure good luck thru out the next year.   I really don't like sauerkraut but I hate to take the chance......................................................

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my kids don't like pork and sauerkraut! I love it!
We are having beef brisket!

~~Happy New Year~~

Sharon

http://journals.aol.com/buggieboo1/ImASurvivor/