Sunday, August 5, 2007

Sunday

This is sort of eerie.  This was taken atop the highest mountain in  TN.  Or maybe it was NC.   Anyway.   The Highest mountain in TN is Clingmans Dome and NC is Mt Mitchell.  Itw as definaly in the Great Smokies.   I saw some pictures of the area about 120 to 100 years ago.  The mountains were denuded; the lumber had been used for buliding.  I am glad it has reforested.    Nothing worse than naked hills and mountains.

 The time was October and the day was bright and sunny.   Then out of nowhere this fog and chill descended up the apex.   It got cold and snow flakes appeared.  The pine trees are dead from  the Pine Borer Beetle.   This is a problem in the south.   The high temperatures and drought conditions seem to propel the rise in this beetle population and destruction of pine trees.  I wonder if that is also an illegal immigrant hitchhiking bug pest?

Back to work tomorrow.   I am working four days in a row and then onto  to the NC shore.   I am looking forward to the time off but not the drive.  I think we will avoid the DC beltway.  That has to be the craziest place in the USA to drive.   They all drive like maniacs.  

I have my hardrive  almost full.   60 G looks like a paultry amount these days.  Today I moved the pictures from yestersays scans to the hard drive.  I didn't really move them I copied them.  It will get to a point that I will have to start to delete somes files frommy PC.  But, like Scarlett, tomorrow is another day.

No comments: