Thursday, April 8, 2004

Almost three weeks

Well, here I ait.  It has been three weeks since my fathers death.  I talked with my husband and he assured me that the right thing was done.  That being, no resusitation.  I guess he can look at it logically, and I had some magical thinking that I could have changed the course of events and it would have been fine.  He had been ailing for about a year.   And really sick since the end of February.  February 29 to be exact.  I guess I will always think of leap year as the day my father got really sick.

My siblings and I have been going thru his things.  First was his clothes, which wouldnt fit anyone.  Or really not the style for younger people.  We gave them to Goodwill.   I know some of those organizations bundle up a lot of those things and ship them overseas.   Seem strange, but I can imagine some person in a third world country wearing our fathers stuff.  

Next we started at the basement.  He never threw anything out.  It was all neatly catagorized.   There were checks dating back to 1957, honest, there  were.   Payment book stubs dating to 1949.   And every recipt and bill statement for utilities, and all the add ins you get with your bills and their evelopes.  I am glad there were 4 of us doing this.  It was really sort of funny, but also sad.

There ae nuts and bold and all kind of metal things.   He also saved things that didnt work.  My brothers are going to take them to the scrap yard and get some money. (I hope they take the stuff)

I also found a afghan that was made by my grandmother.  I kept that.  And my sister found her refrigerator art fromgrade school.  This wil take a while.   I guess if you have time you should get rid of anything that will prove embarrasing before you die.  Havn'g found that yet.

 

No comments: