Tuesday, March 9, 2004

On growing older

It has again been a long time since I wrote in here.   My concerns have been my elderly father, who is 85.  Up until about 1 year ago, he was in good health.  Last spring he started to have a gi bleed which he was vomiting blood and his hemoglobion (hgb) dropped to around 10.  He has all kind of studies but after a gastroscopy and a colonoscopy the source of the bleeeding could not be found. 

Then in the fall he had another episode and his hgb was down to 6.  He was again admitted and then had blood and cat scans.  It was determined that he had a lot of nasal polyps, so they were removed.  He also had another gastroscopy and nothing found. 

This time, a week ago, he passed out at the kitchen table and vomited blood again.   He went to the ER and they also had a head cat scan, and he had been falling and had two subdural hematomas.  So, he had them drained (burr holes) and another gastroscopy and 5 units of blood.  This time they found a AVM in his stomach, (rteriovenous malformation)  I read the literature and they can also be in the smal bowel and colon.  His GI guy said that it was about 1/3 inch in diameter.  His bleeding has stabelized and he is too weak to go thru a colonoscopy this time.

Getting him ready for discharge.  He has to have rehab since he hasnt walked for a week.  He wants to die.  He said your perspective changes when you get old.  He missed my mother and he said he knows he will only go downhill.   I think a lot of the older people feel like this.  He wants to know why he is still living, for what reason.  I have no answer to give him.  He will now fill out his living will with a DNR.  and get power of attorney.  I wonder if I will feel the same way when I am at that age.  I know now if I were in the position that I required a vent or feeding tube I wouldnot want resussitated myself.   I feel so bad for him and I can do nothing.  If that is depression I really don't think medication is the answer for people who are very old and are ready to go........................................

 

 

No comments: